The Official Website of the State of Arkansas

What can we help you find?


Owning a Business

Running a business can be extremely rewarding and complicated at the same time. We’ve compiled the top resources that can help you start, run, and manage your business.

Pro Tip: Sign up for Gov2Go to get your custom citizen timeline that includes payment of your annual franchise taxes.

Starting a New Business

So you’ve got an idea, and you need to know how to get started? The Arkansas Secretary of State has a great site that will walk you through a few simple questions and will produce a customized business action plan for you.

Register a New Business with the Secretary of State

Pro Tip: Get a customized plan to start your new business from Dream It Do It Arkansas

Existing Business Owners

If you already own a business, here are a few things you might need to be aware of.

Franchise Taxes

Existing businesses are required to pay franchise taxes annually. They are due each year before May 1st. The Secretary of State handles new and existing business filings and franchise taxes.

Pay Franchise Taxes

Federal Employer Identification Number

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity. Generally, businesses need an EIN and you may apply for an EIN online. This is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service and you can get your EIN immediately.

Business Insurance

Stay protected! As a business owner, you’ll want to consider obtaining business insurance to protect your business and yourself. Though business insurance is an added expense, in many cases it is also tax-deductible. There are many types of insurance, and the level of coverage needed can depend on many aspects of your business.

Go to the Small Business Administration website for more information:

Business Insurance

Workers Compensation Insurance (WCI)

In most states, even if you don’t need it, you must fill out WCI forms anyway. If your business doesn’t fall into the category that requires this insurance, you must still file a form saying that you do not provide WCI. So, be aware that you may need to file forms anyway, even if you don’t need the insurance in Arkansas.

Go to the Arkansas Workers’ Compensation Commission website for more information:

Worker’s Compensation Insurance Information